Not Your German Chocolate Cake [February]

Listen, this is a test of all tests. My dad LOVES German Chocolate Cake so for his Retirement (1/31), Superbowl Celebration (2/2) and Birthday (2/3) I decided I'd make him one. The catch? He's picky about his German Chocolate Cake. He LOVES the cake made by close family friend, Geraldine. I'm no Geraldine. I just wanted to surprise him and congratulate him on his accomplishments and wish him a Happy Birthday. I should start by saying, there is/was some reluctance in making this cake because I feel like it has to live up to the cake that he WANTS. And I want to enjoy making it, without the pressure. #NoPressure So if he doesn't like it, guess what? I'm sure Geraldine (or somebody) is a phone call away! *snicker*

I went to the store to get everything I need. The great debate, "what kind of chocolate to use?" The Baker's German Chocolate that EVERYONE swears by, or something else? The original recipe that I saw did not use that one, but rather cocoa. And I already have Hershey's Cocoa from my Red Velvet cake.


 It's Sunday. Superbowl Sunday. Dad's birthday is tomorrow so, I'll bring him his cake today. Mama's gotta work tomorrow. But while i'm doing that, I check through my recipe options, one last time. I've got options. And truthfully, I don't know what to expect to even tell you what's the best way. Whichever version I pick, I need it to be done by 5:30 LOL They were all pretty similar. The recipe in the chocolate container is for cupcakes. 


  1. Tastes Better From Scratch (no Baker's)
  2. Baker's Version
  3. Random that looked good
  4. Betty Crocker

And here's what I landed on. Option 2
Everything's measured aaaand ready to go.


Anyhoo, time to lay everything out. Like I said, I like the way they have their portions already separated on TV, lol. Time to start on the cake. I'm mixing, whisking, stirring, pouring, blending etc. Things are moving right along. I had an issue with with the egg white peaking. No matter how long I blended it, it didn't do what I needed it to do. Eventually it came together. Or at least enough to be frothy and less liquidy. Side Tip: I used salted butter so I only used a smidge (maybe an 1/8) of salt from the recipe rather than 1/4.

The batter is done and it tastes good to me. The flavor is good, it's smooth. My mom thinks it tastes grainy. IDK why. the portion didn't look as "great" as I expected it to. But I followed the directions. I'm ready to put it in the oven. IN it goes. Then I turn around and realize I didn't put ANY flour in. None lol. I'd put the bowl of flour on the other side of the counter. Luckily I realized it before I the over door closed. *snicker* Anyway, I added the flour which made it more fluffy and plentiful. The consistency of any regular cake!  Added it back to the pan and we're all good. Right? Wrong. The Buttermilk! when I was putting out my portions, I didn't want the buttermilk to just sit out, so I left it in the fridge. heh! But I got it in there. Luckily, the flour and buttermilk were the last things on the recipe before the egg whites so I wasn't so far out of 'wack.'




The cakes cooked, smelling all cakey. First time I checked them, #toothpickcheck they're DONE! I take them out and let them cool.

Now to start making the icing. Oops, I need two more eggs. Thanks to my neighbor, I was able to resolve that. Now i'm getting ready to chop my pecans and realize I don't have enough. You see, I make Blueberry Breeze, regularly, and typically keep pecans in my stash. Even though I'd purchased some for the cake, I didn't have enough to finish. Have to make a store run. More pecans!  

By the way, this thing is awesome. Chopping pecans was SUPER EASY! 

As I start the recipe for the icing, I hadn't paid attention to the fact that I had to cook it lol. Actually, I hadn't looked through the icing recipe in detail at all. But I did it, obviously.  It wasn't do bad. "heat for 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown." Thick is definitely left up to interpretation but I went based on what i'd see these cakes look like. Got my coconut and pecans added. I added some extra nuts because my family likes them.

 

At this point, it's after 530. Almost 6 and the recipe says for it to cool to your spreading consistency. I didn't want it to cool too much to become stiff and harder to spread. Plus, I was in a rush at the end and trying to get the cake to the party so I let it cool for a little and spread it on there. The recipe was right, It makes enough for the layers, top and the sides. And VOILA! I added the pecans on the top for a little flair! 


 

Here's the first cut. The cake, not the hair! 😜
 

By the end of the night, the entire cake was gone. Everyone loved it. I got some good feedback. *takes a bow* 

Comments

Popular Posts